We have a wedding to go to this weekend that is out of state. I found this fabric in my stash and decided to make a dress for the wedding out of it. The fabric was enough for my normal sheath style dress but I wanted something a bit different. The pattern I used has a lower back, three quarter length arms, and supposedly a full skirt. But I did not have enough fabric for the skirt so I had to cut it down.
I tried the dress on before I hemmed it. Failure! My normal choice for size works well for a sheath dress but not well for a dress that is this fitted at the waist. I got the shoulders and the cup size right. The fabric was horrible to try on! I do not think I would have made the whole wedding with it on. let alone the reception! I should put many more exclamation points because that was how itchy the fabric felt.
The excitement and pondering come from I now have a very good idea on how I need to change the pattern to fit me. I also have a better idea on what kind of fabric I wish to make this dress in. This blue is pretty and looks good on me but I have to admit that I will probably go with a black or a deep burgundy. I also was thinking I would like it in a soft wool. Not really a stash dress at all. I actually like the narrower skirt so I will have to think about what I want to do there.
I would love to spend the weekend working on the next version. I am seriously thinking about making a muslin for it to just be sure. There is going to have to be some adjustment in the bodice. I would also love to do some fabric shopping. I have to admit that it has been a while since I have gone to the fabric store looking for something other then thread and zippers.
But this weekend is a wedding. And there is a quilt to work on on my machine. I might get a chance to go to a fabric store next week to plan and ponder. How many pennies must I safe....